The Northern ‘Taster’ walk is the perfect loop. It begins in Circular Quay, overnights in the seaside village of Manly, traverses the Northern Beaches Coast Walk as far as Collaroy before returning to Circular Quay. It’s a glorious two days with an emphasis on what Sydney has to offer north of the Harbour.
Circular Quay to Manly (19.5km)
Our day begins aboard an iconic Sydney Ferry as we steam across the Harbour to Taronga Zoo where we soon enter Sydney Harbour National Park. This harbour-side trail takes in beautiful secluded beaches, picturesque bays, impressive lookouts, and historical sights. Along the way we pass the incredible Bradleys Head, Chowder Bay and Georges Head. We then press on until we reach The Spit Bridge – with a bit of luck we may see it open and rise to allow boats through.
After lunch at bistro overlooking the marina, we head for Manly again walking through the Sydney Harbour National Park. There’s the intriguingly named Forty Baskets Beach to traverse and some significant Aboriginal rock carvings to be admired before we arrive in Manly and our accommodation at The Sebel alongside the beach. Dinner tonight is at the Manly Pavilion.
Manly to Circular Quay (11km)
We start the day by joining the Northern Beaches Coast Walk admiring as we go the spectacular ocean views, golden beaches and picturesque ocean pools. In season (May-September) this is classic whale sighting territory but even if it’s not that time of the year the flora and fauna along this coastal path is always fascinating. After rounding Dee Why Lagoon (a mini eco-system in itself) and the Long Reef Headland (watch out for paragliders floating above) we arrive at the beachside Collaroy Hotel for lunch.
After lunch we return by private transfer back to the city.
- One nights’ twin-share accommodation in 4-star boutique hotel
- One breakfast and two lunches
- An evening meal at an atmospheric local restaurant including soft drinks, beer and wine. There’s no dinner on the final day as the walk wraps up with a farewell lunch at the Collaroy Hotel
- All transfers – mini bus, water taxi and ferry
- All snacks on the trail, as well as morning and afternoon teas
- All park entry fees
- A professional and knowledgeable Walk Leader to guide the walk supported by a Walk Assistant each day